Kaunas castle is the oldest masonry castle in Lithuania. In the documents it was first mentioned in the year 1361. Now it is in the old town of Kaunas.
It was built in the 14th century and the place was strategically good for watching the nearby cities and trade routes. Castle stands on the river bank.
In the year 1362 Teutonic Knights held the castle in the state of siege of three weeks and then destroyed it. But the castle was rebuilt in 1368 and now it was adjusted to use the gunpowder guns. This castle's walls were 3 and half meters thick and 9 and half meters high and every of the four corners had a tower.
Later the castle was renovated a few times. In the 16th century the artillery bastion was built there. But the castle was badly destroyed during the 17th - 18th centuries' wars. For some time in the 18th century it was used as a prison.
The masonry, that we can see today, is form the later centuries, but it was rebuilt following the plan of the second castle. There are some fragments, left from the old castles. The tower now houses the art gallery.